You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265254  

Print Page



© Mr Kevin White LBPPA

IoE Number: 265254
Location: REMAINS OF ST ANDREW'S CHURCH (NOW USED AS MORTUARY CHAPEL),
  STRINGSTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Kevin White LBPPA
Date Photographed: 12 September 2002
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 16 November 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST14SESTRINGSTON CPLILSTOCK6/204Church of St. Andrew(previously listed as Remains ofSt Andrew's Church (now used as a

ST14SE STRINGSTON CP LILSTOCK 6/204 Church of St. Andrew (previously listed as Remains of St Andrew's Church (now used as a Mortuary Chapel) 22.5.69 II Church, now redundant. C14 chancel arch alone remains of earlier Church demolished 1881 when present structure erected. Blue lias and pebble random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, decorative bargeboards gable Ends, Single cell on site of chancel of earlier Church, porch West end, bell-cote set on gable end above. Porch: lean-to hipped roof, quoins, shouldered entrance, arched doorway with hoodnould, double doors, decorative hinges Tiled bell-cote, steeply pitched pyramid roof, pierced wooden opening, slate-hung base, no bell, Arched 2-light window at East end, completely obscured externally by ivy. Wrought iron crosses East gable end and on bell-cote, Interior: C14 chancel arch on innerface of entrance wall, otherwise the only features of interest are 2 memorial slabs set in the North wall to Joanne Popham, died 1714, lime- washed blue lias, and to John Buller, died 1765, slate; both distinguished by good lettering and a robustly naive use of classical motifs. The Victorian floor tiles have mostly been removed, many slates are missing and the East end is overgrown with ivy at time of survey, (August 1983). The Church was declared redundant 1980, and the Norman front removed to Stogursey Church in 1981. (Kellys Directory, 1902; VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming; photographs in NMR).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.