You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265256  

Print Page



© Mr Kevin White LBPPA

IoE Number: 265256
Location: STRINGSTON CHURCH,
  STRINGSTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Kevin White LBPPA
Date Photographed: 23 September 2002
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 16 November 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST14SESTRINGSTON CP6/196Church of St. Mary(formerly listed as StringstonChurch)

ST14SE STRINGSTON CP 6/196 Church of St. Mary (formerly listed as Stringston Church) 22.5.69 GV II Parish Church. Some C17 work, mainly late C19 and early C20; chancel rebuilt, vestry added, church restored 1878-9, tower largely rebuilt 1912 when church again restored. Rendered over random rubble, plain tiles, decorative ridge tiles, scalloped tiles on spire. Two bay nave, chancel, vestry South chapel to St. Albyn family, South porch, West tower. Tower, 3 stage, broached spire, lancet window on each stage divided by string courses, louvred bell openings, pair of lancets West end first stage. Diagonal buttresses one stage high with larger irregular buttress at South West junction with nave. Two 2-light windows on North face, gabled South porch, arched entrance with hoodmould, piscina used as a holy water stoop, arched doorway with C19 double doors. Gabled projection of South chapel, 2-light window, hoodmould, group of head stones and memorial tablets set into external East wall of chapel and South wall of chancel with railings on two sides forming a square enclosure. Lancet on South wall of chancel, 2-light East windows, vestry projection North side. Interior: rendered. C14 chancel arch, remains of original barrel vaulted roof in nave, others late C19 - early C20. Simple early C17 bench ends, one dated 1602. Good collection of late C:7 and C18 memorials to the St. Albyn family in the South chapel, notably to John St. Albyn of Alfoxton Park (qv) died 1768, a typical design in grey and black marble by John Ford the younger of Bath. (Gunnis, R; Dictionary of british Sculptures, 1951; Kelly Directory, 1902).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.