You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265319  

Print Page



© Mr Garry Mayo

IoE Number: 265319
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN,
  CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Garry Mayo
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 22 May 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS93NWCUTCOMBE CPCUTCOMBE VILLAGE10/37Church of St John

SS93NW CUTCOMBE CP CUTCOMBE VILLAGE 10/37 Church of St John 22.5.69 GV II* Parish church. C13 tower, C13-early C14 north aisle, 1713 east wall of north aisle rebuilt, 1862 extensively restored, reseated, and south aisle, south chapel and south porch added, 1971 reroofed. Mid C19 work by C E Giles, builders Pearse of Minehead and Hole of Dunster. Random rubble, upper stage of tower roughcast, slate roofs, coped verges, truncated stack west gable end of south aisle. west tower, 4-bay nave, 3-bay north aisle, 2-bay organ chamber, chancel, 4-bay south aisle, 2-bay south chapel, south porch. Two-stage crenellated tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light window west end of aisle, south front single storey gabled dporch, unbuttressed, with moulded pointed arch springing from engaged columns, C19 inner door; three 2-light windows right, between buttresses with priest's door beyond, east end of aisle lancet, 3-light east window to chancel, 2-light cinquefoil headed window to east end of buttressed north aisle, 3 similar windows on north front, 2-light trefoil headed window beyond, 3-light cinquefoil headed window at west end, Interior: rendered, except for west end. C19 moulded arches to chapel and south Chapel with foliage capitals, unmoulded tower arch. C19 roofs with some old bosses in nave, Five-bay north arcade of octagonal piers without capitals except for eastern one, pointed arches; south arcade with vigorously carved foliage capitals. Base, stem and pillars of Norman font with C19 Italian marble bowl. Mid C19 Beer stone pulpit, panels carved with scenes from the bible; mid C19 stone reredos sculpted with da Vinci's Last Supper, reset in south chapel when the Arts and Crafts style ceramic, alabaster and glass mosaic reredos, dado and also the east window, were given in memory of Philip Pleydell Bouverie and his wife, died 1890 and 1892 respectively. The south aisle had been erected at their expense and contains glass by Clayton and Bell. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Soaerset, 1958; Kelly's Directory, 1861 and 1906.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.