You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265357  

Print Page

© Mr Malcolm Parslow

IoE Number: 265357
Photographer: Mr Malcolm Parslow
Date Photographed: 21 April 2002
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 22 May 1969
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


SS93NE LUXBOROUGH CP LUXBOROUGH VILLAGE 11/74 Church of St Mary 22.5.69 GV II Parish church. C13 chancel, C15 altered and lower stages of tower erected, 1861 north aisle added, nave largely rebuilt and upper stages of tower added, 1890 south porch, 1969 and 1973-4 church restored. Roughcast with exposed flat bedded slate tower and porch, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. Four-bay nave, chancel, 4-bay north aisle, south porch, west tower. Three stage sadle-back tower aligned east-west, diagonal buttresses west end to second stage, 2-light louvred bell openings west end, string course, cross loop openings on returns, 2-light louvred bell openings below, 2-light window above pointed arch west door, C19 door; gabled south porch, chamfered pointed arch opening, C19 double doors, lit on returns, double inner door unmoulded, two 3-light windows to nave, large irregular buttresses at junction with chancel, lancets flanking priests door with stepped buttress to left, 3-light east window, 2 lancets north front of chancel, two 3-light windows to north front of chancel, two 3-light windows to north aisle. Interior: rendered tower exposed random rubble, chamfered chancel arch, pointed tower arch; C19 open wagon roofs. Four bay arcade of chamfered arches, outer bays springing from plain responds. C15 octagonal font. East window dedicated to Lt Lethbridge, died 1899. Mid-late C19 fittings. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.