© Mr John H. Sparkes
KNOWLE RIDING CENTRE,
TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr John H. Sparkes
19 August 2004
05 June 1985
Date of last amendment:
05 June 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SS94SE TIMBERSCOMBE CP _
7/91 Knowle Riding Centre
Country house, now residential centre. Circa 1878 on earlier site by J D Sedding for Mr Hole. Squared red sandstone,
Ham stone dressings, steeply pitched slate roof, decorative ridge tiles, obelisk finials to gabled end bays and central
porch, large roughcast stacks to rear. Shallow E-plan. Elizabethan style. Two storeys with attic, 1:3:1:3:1 bays,
3-storey central porch, gable swept up to segmental pediment flanked by obelisks, patterned slate-hung returns to upper
storey, 3-light window, pedimented top to 3-light mullioned and transomed first floor window flanked by engaged
obelisks, entrance segmental pediment carried on fluted Ionic columns, leaded fanlight, C20 many paned door, flanked by
three 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, single light in central bay left, moulded string course on brackets,
ground floor with empty semi-circular headed niches in central bays, moulded string course below carried on brackets,
gabled end bays with 2-storey canted bays of 4-light mullioned and transomed windows with pediments similar to porch.
lost of first floor windows have original circular leading, Panels carved with heraldic achievements below segmental
pediments gable ends inscribed Anno D. and 18-- (eroded). C20 single storey addition right not included, on site of
original conservatory. Sedding was the architect to the Diocese of Bath and Wells. (Illustrated in The Builder).