You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265416  

Print Page



© Mr R.M Rayner

IoE Number: 265416
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH HILL (north side)
  EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr R.M Rayner
Date Photographed: 03 September 2000
Date listed: 06 April 1969
Date of last amendment: 06 April 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS83NEEXFORD CPCHURCH HILL (North side)

SS83NE EXFORD CP CHURCH HILL (North side) 13/3 Church of St Mary Magdalene 6.4.69 GV II* Parish church. Tower mid C15, south aisle 1532-42, nave and chancel largely rebuilt and porch added 1867, church restored 1893, vestry screen added 1924, organ presented 1924, pulpit 1929, medieval screen reassembled 1929. Red sandstone random rubble, coursed on tower, slate hung west end of aisle, slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles to aisle only, no coped verges except to porch. West tower, 3-bay nave, 4-bay south aisle, south porch and chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower, moulded plinth, full height diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses, trefoil headed 2-light louvred bell openings, 3-light west window with angel and devil terminals to hood mould and angel above, carved hood moulds to 4-centred arch head west doorway, north-east crenellated stair turret; south aisle 3-light cinquefoil headed mullions, one left and 2 right of single storey gabled and unbuttressed C19 porch, pointed arch opening with colonettes, moulded pointed arch inner doorway with C19 door; stepped buttress between second and third bays, 3-light east window to aisle, south chancel wall unlit, 5-light east window, three 3-light windows on north front, chancel buttressed. Interior: rendered. Four-bay Perpendicular arcade of clustered columns with vineleaf decorated capitals. No chancel arch; chamfered, semi-circular tower arch filled by panelled screen dated 1923 forming vestry. C19 arch braced roofs. C19 auabry and stone reredos. Organ in eastern end of south aisle designed by Sir Niniam Comper with painted Giorgionesque panels from a private house, presented 1924. Good Perpendicular octagonal font. Parish chest dated in studs 1772. Tablet to Robert Baker died 1730. C15 screen from the demolished medieval church of St Audries, West Quantoxhead, fanvaulted with remains of 4 friezes, 6 and 2 half bays with double doors, ressembled 1929. Formerly known as the Church of St Salvyn. (Photograph in NMR; Kelly's Directory, 1906; Allen, The Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.