© Mr R.M Rayner
SIMONSBATH HOUSE HOTEL,
EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr R.M Rayner
22 July 2001
06 April 1959
Date of last amendment:
02 January 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SS73NE EXMOOR CP SIMONSBATH
Simonsbath House Hotel
(formerly listed as Simonsbath
House, now hotel. Mid C17, extensively altered C19 and C20. Built for John Boevey. Roughcast over rubble, butumen
covered slate roofs, pyramid roof to porch with soffit board, roughcast stacks between fist and second bays right,
between second and third at gable end of original dwelling, to right of porch and set below rebuilt gable end right.
Plan: internally much altered, 3 or 4-cell and cross passage with full height porch extended to U-plan. Two storeys,
2:3:1:2 bays, mainly C20 casements, tripartite sash windows second bay left, third bay canted bay window with 24-pane
sash window, right of porch 12-pane sash window first floor, 3-light casement below, tall porch with C19 canted oriel
window, moulded C17 door, partly renewed, reached by flight of 4 slate steps, C20 inner door. Gabled 2-storey, 2-bay
wing right, 3-storey agricultural wing adjoining left. Interior: fireplace with chamfered lintel and enriched stops to
right of cross passage dated 1654, imported C17 panelling and overmantel in hall from Wier Gifford, Bideford, North
Devon with painted coats of arms, coved ceiling to porch room. This was built by the Warden of Exmoor Forest, John
Boevey, and was until the early C19 the only house in the Royal Forest. Circa 1819 it became the home of the Knight
family and was subsequently much altered by the Fortescues in the early C20.