You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265436  

Print Page



© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 265436
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER,
  EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 23 July 2004
Date listed: 06 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 06 April 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS93SWEXTON CPEXTON VILLAGEViLLAGE19/23Church of St Peter

SS93SW EXTON CP EXTON VILLAGE ViLLAGE 19/23 Church of St Peter 6.4.59 GV II* Parish church. Some Norman work in nave, C13 tower, C15 aisle, refenestrated early C16, church restored and chancel rebuilt 1876, tower restoration dated 1928. Random rubble local slate, tower and west end of aisle pebbledash, slate and asbestos slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave and north aisle, south porch chancel. Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage, north-west buttress with date 1928, lancet bell opening, wooden louvred opening south face with lancet below, no west door; 3-light cinquefoil-headed mullioned windows, except in chancel, one on either side of single storey, gabled porch, unbuttressed, moulded arch openings, C19 door, flat bedded chequer board pattern slate floor, trefoil-headed statue niche above door, slate tablet inscribed to Ann Norris, died 1717 opposite; chancel, chamfered pointed arch priest's door, 2-light window right, 3-light east window, north aisle lit east end and 3 windows on north front, blocked central opening between large slate topped buttresses. Interior: rendered, quoins to window openings and tower arch exposed, standard Perpendicular 3-bay arcade, unmoulded chancel arch with chamfered jambs, pointed tower arch. C19 collar beam roof with struts in chancel, nave and aisle remains of earlier ceiled wagon roof, now open, new bosses in nave. Hagioscope in north aisle wall. Reredos of glass mosaic c 1890. Medieval tiles set along altar step. Pulpit of C18-C19 panelling reset. Perpendicular font. Stained glass: east window by Lavers, Barrand and Westlake dated 1886, south chancel window with portraits of the doners, one died 1867. Fine painted and gilded wooden panel to Rose Pearse, died 1712 and her husband Robert, died 1732, with painted cherubs, skulls and flowers; black and white wall tablet to Martha Williams died 1826, by Lancaster and Walker of Bristol. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.