© Mr R.M Rayner
OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr R.M Rayner
02 September 2000
22 May 1969
Date of last amendment:
22 May 1969
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
OARE CP CULBONE
Parish church, dedication unknown. Probably pre-Norman in origin, C13 porch, late C15-early C16 nave refenestrated and
reroofed, c1810 spirelet added, 1888 chancel reroofed and east wall rebuilt, nave roof repaired 1928. Random rubble
local stone part whitewashed, slate roofs, slate hung spirelet. Two bay nave with bell-cote, south porch, chancel. West
end unlit, single storey gabled porch, semi-circular headed opening, barrel vault roof with remains of wallplate,
cambered headed door with medieval metalwork; 2-light trefoil-headed mullioned window, wall breaks forward slightly to
right lancet in south wall of chancel, C19 3-light east widow, north wall Saxon 2-light window with leopard face carved
in low relief in spandrel, north wall of nave 2-light wooden cinquefoil headed mullioned window under hoodmould.
Interior: rendered. Pointed chancel arch unmoulded. Cl9 wagon roof to chancel, original ceiled wagon roof to nave with
crenellated wall plate. Norman baluster font. Circa 1400 3-bay screen partly renewed. C17 box pew, and plain bench ends
thought to be pre-Reformation. Reredos designed 1927 by CFA Voysey and made by Mr Huish. One of the 2 bells is said to
date from the C14. The church seats about 40 people and has a good claim to be considered the smallest complete church
in England. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958; Allen, The Churches and
Chapels of Exmoor, 1974).