© David Sanderson
GEORGE HOTEL, HIGH STREET (north side)
GLASTONBURY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
05 September 1999
21 June 1950
Date of last amendment:
21 June 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
George Hotel and
ST 4958 7/35 21.6.50.
Late C15. Originally the Pilgrims' Inn, a hospice of the Abbey. 3 storeys. Whole
front divided into 3 tiers of panels with traceried heads. Right of centre is
entrance with 3-centred arched head. Above are 3 carved panels with arms of the
Abbey and Edward IV. To left is 3-storey splayed bay with a 4-light mullioned
window to each floor. Splayed piers with panelled sides at quoins. Moulded strings.
Crenellated parapet with roof gables behind. Stone shaft and bracket supporting
inn sign. Small bell-turret freestanding on parapet to right. Interior has stone
newel staircase, panelled 'Abbot's Parlour', extensive cellars etc. Long range
of post-medieval buildings attached to rear.
All the listed buildings from Crown Hotel to No 11 (North side) and Nos 2 to 10, with No 12
(South side), and the Market Cross and Nos 6 to 9 (consec) Market Place form an extremely