© David Sanderson
ABBOT'S KITCHEN, GLASTONBURY ABBEY, MAGDALENE STREET (east side)
GLASTONBURY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
26 June 2001
21 June 1950
Date of last amendment:
21 June 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 4938 7/9 2l.6,5o.
Isolated in the grounds to the south of the Abbey church ruins. One of the best
preserved medieval kitchens in Europe, and the only substantial monastic building
at Glastonbury. C14. Square with large curved buttresses to each side, stringcourse
and cornice with grotesque gargoyles. 2-light traceried windows. Octagonal superstructure
with pyramidal roof crowned by double louvred stack with bands of crenellation.
Weathervane at apex. 4 vast arched fireplaces, with round smoke outlets above,
are set across the corners inside. The ribs of the octagonal vaulted roof lead
up to a circular outlet inside the snook. Contains some architectural fragments
and furnishings from the Abbey buildings (other objects now removed to gatehouse
lodge). Lies within the Ancient Monument scheduled area,
All the listed buildings in the Abbey grounds form an extremely important group.