You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 266035  

Print Page



© Mr G F J Russell LRPS

IoE Number: 266035
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, BATH STREET (east side)
  FROME, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr G F J Russell LRPS
Date Photographed: 24 March 2002
Date listed: 16 February 1983
Date of last amendment: 16 February 1983
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

5363BATH STREET(East side)Parish Church ofST 7747 NE 10/1St John the Baptist

1. 5363 BATH STREET (East side) Parish Church of ST 7747 NE 10/1 St John the Baptist II* 2. A Saxon church stood here or close by. The present church has vestiges of C12, C13 and C14 work but was virtually rebuilt in the C19. The chancel restored in 1844, the rest 1852-66 by C E Giles for the Rev W J E Bennett. An excellent example of Victorian Anglo-Catholic remodelling in Decorated style with pious foreign touches (eg Rayonnant). Of the Saxon period survive some carved stones (probably C11) under the tower. There is a Norman archway into the Lady Chapel, medieval corbels in north aisle and in Lady Chapel. Two medieval chantry chapels are incorporated, St John's (endowed 1377) and St Andrew's (opened 1412). The church is built of rubble with cornice and parapets and large gargoyles. 7 or 8 bay aisled and clerestoried nave. 2 bay chancel with north and south chapels. 2 additional north chapels. 2 storey north porch with rood in gable (completing Via Crucis (Church Street) (qv). Gabled south porch also with sculpture. Tower with traceried parapet and spire over east bay of south aisle. Mostly 2 light ogee windows. West front has tall gable over geometric 4 light west window, niche with statue of St John in gable. Central west door flanked by canopied niches containg statues of the 4 evangelists (by James Forsyth). Side doors with cut-off windows containing foiled tracery. Canopied pinnacles to gable. The interior Pointed arcade, 3 bays without capitals, high and wide octagonal plinths, roundels with scenes from the New Testament in the spandrels. Most of the windows have coloured glass (mostly by C E Kempe and Co), grisaille in the clerestory, narrative in the aisles. An excellent description of the history, the interior and the memorials is contained in the "Guide to the Church of St John the Baptist, Frome, Selwood" (1975). Rich detailing, the baptistary has splendid pavement and carved draper dado (also contains the John Stevens memorial. Lady Chapel (Boyle family vault) which is ornate and has a Norman doorway, C15 corbels and a number of marble memorials (2 by R Westmacott) plus a shrouded cadaver said for no reason to be that of Edmund Leversedge (buried at Westbury). The church furniture, paving etc are consistently of a high Victorian standard. The churchyard has low rubble walls with pyramidal coping, a number of corner piers and iron gates. Via Crucis and Fountain. See under Church Street.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.