© Ms Geraldine Bunn LRPS
THE BLUE HOUSE,
FROME, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Ms Geraldine Bunn LRPS
28 January 2002
22 July 1949
Date of last amendment:
16 February 1983
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
5363 MARKET PLACE
ST 7748 SE 5/3 22.7.49 The Blue House
(formerly listed as
The Bluecoat School
1726. Built as a Bluecoat School with flanking almshouses (see statues of "Nancy
Guy" and "Billy Ball" on facade).
Central 2½ storey block with hipped roof and flanking 3½ storey blocks. Central
break in ashlar with plinth, chamfered quoins and coved moulded cornice; large
panelled doors with architrave and brackets to pediment broken to accommodate repaired
statue of Bluecoat Boy ("Billy Ball"). 2 ranges of large round headed windows in
architraves. Niche over door contains statue of old parishoner ("Nancy Guy")
possibly a replica. 2 segmental headed dormers; central clock turret with arcade,
pilasters and bell shaped lead roof. Each wing is of 3 bays with paired windows;
coursed rubble with ashlar eaves and cornice, quoins, bands over floors, and plain
architraves. Large chimney breaks forward in each wing. 2 gabled dormers to each
Rear: chimneys stunted and windows of centre altered to 3 light flat mullion types,
flanking central stack.
Interior: Original plain stairs to each wing with heavy hand rail and turned balusters
Flanking front door, are 2 recently 'cleaned' statues of Charity Girls (circa 1803)
from the demolished Keyford Asylum.