You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 266286  

Print Page

© Mr G F J Russell LRPS

IoE Number: 266286
Photographer: Mr G F J Russell LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 March 2002
Date listed: 18 April 1973
Date of last amendment: 18 April 1973
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

5363PORTWAYFrome StationST 7847 13/21018.4.73(Main building)

1. 5363 PORTWAY Frome Station ST 7847 13/210 18.4.73 (Main building) II 2. Circa 1850. Designed by J R Hannaford. All wood construction. Train shed covering both tracks. Aisled, with wooden posts and ceiling. Corrugated iron roof with full length glazed vent. Offices on up: side. Single storey with seven wooden casements, two and three light. Original bracketted canopy over entrance. Hipped corrugated iron roof with red brick stacks. Largely unaltered example of a small station of the period and probably the last through train shed of its type in use on the Western Region. The line was constructed by the Wells, Somerset and Weymouth Railway and opened 9 September 1850 having been previously taken over by the Great Western Railway.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.