You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 266490  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 266490
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 21 September 1984
Date of last amendment: 21 September 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST6243SHEPTON MALLET CPCORN HILL (South side)7/92HM Prison and perimeter wall-

ST6243 SHEPTON MALLET CP CORN HILL (South side) 7/92 HM Prison and perimeter wall - - II* Prison. Originally built 1610, new buildings 1818-1819 by George Allen Underwood, major alterations 1830, 1843 and 1848 by Richard Carver. Render, rusticated to ground floor, slate hipped roof, wide eaves. Austere classical facade. 4-storeys, 3-bays, sashes with glazing bars in segmental headed stone architraves with emphasised keystones. Central doorway, plain stone surround with moulded cornice above, entrance now blocked. Plain stone band below first floor windows, moulded band above those to third floor. Massive ashlar gateway to right side having square head door opening with moulded jambs, cut stone brackets supporting cornice directly above, all set in larger elaborately moulded stone architrave with semi-circular head incorporating barred fanlight. Late C20 double doors. To left side 3-storey wing of 1-bay, blocked semi-circular headed archway to ground floor, narrow barred windows in plain stone architraves above. Further 4-storey wing of 3-bays to its left with similar fenestration. Rubble 8 metre high wall running to left and right sides along Gaol Lane and Frithfield Lane enclosing perimiter of prison compound. House of Correction until 1884 when it became the County Gaol.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.