© Mr G F J Russell LRPS
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, TOWER HILL (east side)
STOKE ST MICHAEL, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Mr G F J Russell LRPS
16 September 1999
02 June 1961
Date of last amendment:
02 June 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST64NE STOKE ST MICHAEL CP TOWER HILL (East side)
2/284 Church of St Michael
Parish church. Western tower of c1400, remainder 1838 by Jesse Gane in Early English style. Coursed and squared rubble.
nave and chancel of ashlar. Tower has diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet with pinnacles, gargoyles at each corner,
and single bell chamber windows. Narrow doorway to West side incorporated in window, ogee head. Broad nave of 5-bays,
lancet windows, each bay divided by buttress, North and South doors, South having gabled porch. Short chancel with
3-light East window, attached vestry to North. Stained glass to nave of 1880's with Art Noveau ornament. 9-stone
memorial plaques, earliest of 1672 to Edward Morris in Nave.