© Ms Geraldine Bunn LRPS
GAER HILL, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (WITH CHURCHYARD GATE AND WALLS),
TRUDOXHILL, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Ms Geraldine Bunn LRPS
17 April 2003
30 January 1981
Date of last amendment:
27 November 1984
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST74SE TRUDOXHILL CP GARE HILL
7/159 Former Church of St Michael
(formerly listed as Gaer Hill,
Church of St Michael
(with churchyard gate and walls))
Former church now disused. Circa 1857 by William Butterfield for the Duke of Somerset. Gothic. Buttressed nave and
chancel of 3 and 2-bays respectively under a single tile roof, crested ridge; gabled South porch; all of Doulting
rubble. Thin Octagonal bell turret to West end with spirelet, below lancet windows flank a central buttress; 2-light
pointed head windows with geometric tracery to North and South sides; East window of 3-lights with plate tracery.
Salient feature of interior elaborate collar bear and king post roof to nave, some stained glass to chancel. Group
value with churchyard wall (qv). Church is in a prominent landscape setting.