You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 266870  

Print Page



©  Brendan Balhetchet LRPS

IoE Number: 266870
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET (south side)
  WANSTROW, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Brendan Balhetchet LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 August 2001
Date listed: 11 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST74SWWANSTROW CPCHURCH STREET (South side)6/186Church of St Mary11.3.68

ST74SW WANSTROW CP CHURCH STREET (South side) 6/186 Church of St Mary 11.3.68 GV II* Parish church. C15, rebuilt and extended 1810 and late C19. Local limestone rubble and ashlar, stone tile roof. Nave with South tower, North and South transepts, South chapel, chancel; Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Tower, 1810, of 3 stages, corner buttresses terminating in finials with embattled parapets between, 2-light bell openings with quatrefoil interlace on 2 stages. Plain interior under restored wagon roofs; nave has 4-light West window, early C19 wall plaques by Chapman of Frome and Crake of London, late C19 font. Unchanged Perpendicular arch remains between South transept and chapel. Chancel has restored piscina and some stained glass of 1902.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.