You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 266881  

Print Page



©  Brendan Balhetchet LRPS

IoE Number: 266881
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  WANSTROW, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Brendan Balhetchet LRPS
Date Photographed: 01 August 2001
Date listed: 11 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST74SWWANSTROW CPCLOFORD6/176Church of St Mary11.3.68GVII*

ST74SW WANSTROW CP CLOFORD 6/176 Church of St Mary 11.3.68 GV II* Church. C15, rebuilt 1856 in Decorated style, chancel extended in 1869, South porch of 1887. Doulting rubble, tile roof. Consists of nave, with East chapel and vestry, chancel, West tower, South porch. Tower of 2 stages having diagonal buttresses to lower stage only, embattled parapet with pinnacles; single 2-light bell chamber opening to each side; West side carries coat of ares of Horner family. Buttressed 3-bay nave and 4-bay chancel, 2-light pointed head openings; 3-light East window; all with tracery. Prominent feature of the interior is the wall monument to Sir George and Lady Horner of 1676; 2 painted three-quarter rustic figures, each under an arch; flanking Classical columns supporting a pediment, this in turn enclosing a crested cartouche. Nearby a plainer altar tomb to Marice Horner of 1621. C11 tub font.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.