© Brendan Balhetchet LRPS
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY,
WHATLEY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Brendan Balhetchet LRPS
15 August 2003
11 March 1968
Date of last amendment:
11 March 1968
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST74NW WHATLEY CP CHANTRY
3/201 Church of the Holy Trinity
Church. 1844-46 by George Gilbert Scott and William Moffatt, further work by William George Brown of Frome, for James
Fussell. Doulting ashlar, lead sheeting roofs. Free Decorated style. 4-bay nave, lower 2 bay chancel; both with
gargoyles and angel figures, sore holding Fussell edge tools; elaborate South porch, ogee headed outer door opening.
West end has lancets flanking a central buttress ascending to a polygonal bell lantern, an ogee headed opening in each
face, above a crocketed spire. Nave windows of 2-lights, chancel has lancets, East window of 3 lights, Geometrical
tracery. Chancel has priests door to South with ogee crocketed canopy. Plastered interior, collar beam roof to nave,
chancel under plain wagon roof. Nave contains resited rood screen on North wall, octagonal font with crocketed niches,
small organ by Gray and Davidson, and elaborate stone pulpit. Chancel has tile floor, choir stalls and carved
misericords, reredos with crocketed finials and niches containing paintings of angels, by W.L.T. Collins of Frome.
North corner has niche containing tomb of Jacob Fussell. East window has glass in medieval style, remaining openings
have simple stained glass. (Robin Athill, Old Mendip, 1964).