You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267055  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 267055
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, BERKLEY STREET (east side)
  BERKLEY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 11 September 2007
Date listed: 11 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST84NWBERKLEY CPBERKLEY STREET (East side)8/109Church of St Mary

ST84NW BERKLEY CP BERKLEY STREET (East side) 8/109 Church of St Mary 11.3.68 GV II* Church 1751. Probably by Thomas Prowse of Berkley House. White washed rubble stone work with dressed Doulting stone quoins, stone slates hipped roof with Doulting ashlar stone work to West tower. Entered through West porch with ringing floor and bell chamber over, to the South a small vestry, square nave with projecting chancel beyond. Full width pediment to entrance, semi-circular head to door opening, set in semi-circular recess with imposts and keystone; above, a plaque, a round headed window with leaded light, square headed, wooden louvred bell openings in all 4-sides; modillion cornice, ballustraded parapet surmounted with tall corner urns. On either side of tower blocked round headed openings; to right side a low, stone tiled roof to vestry and prominent stainless steel flue replacing stone chimney which survives. Triple-light Romanesque East window with C19 stained glass; on North and South sides of nave, central Ventian windows with relieving arches, rectangular leaded lights; the central window on the North side with stained glass. To each side, blocked round headed openings. Square, aisled nave with central glazed cupola and octagonal dome carried on 4 Ionic columns set in a square, surrounded by moulded plaster covered, beaded and compartmented ceiling. Delicate decorative plasterwork to dome. Ionic pilasters to walls. Stone flagstones with some C19 tiles. In chancel, a pair of fine C17 carved panel back chairs with arts. Font, lectern, pulpit and pews all mid C19. On East wall of nave a monumental slab inscribed with a history of Kewborough family from the time of the Conquest until 1680.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.