No Image Available
BERKLEY HOUSE, BERKLEY STREET (east side)
BERKLEY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
11 March 1968
Date of last amendment:
11 March 1968
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST84NW BERKLEY CP BERKLEY STREET (East side)
8/115 Berkley House
Country House, mid C18. Probably designed and built by Nathaniel Ireson of Wincanton. Ashlar Doulting stone with hipped
slate roofs. Basement, two storeys and attic. Symmetrical facade of 7 windows arranged 2:3:2. Over central section a
dentilled pediment on Ionic pilasters. Venetian window in tympanum. Central stone doorcase with pediment and
entablature on two engaged Tuscan columns, rusticated door opening, fanlight and panelled door. Keyed, semi-circular
headed window on each side. To side sections cornices and plain parapets, sash windows with glazing bars and internal
shutters in moulded keyed architraves. Rusticated end pilasters and basement storey. Flight of 5-steps to door, with
urns set at the angles. 5-window return elevations, first floor windows have iron balconette. To the rear, a 3-storey
domestic range, probably C17. Rubble Doulting stone, slate roofs. Wooden casement windows in plain keyed architraves,
heavy lead rain water goods-gutters with scalloped edge decoration, pipes - cast square box section with ribbing
matching those to main building. Interior not seen but said to contain a fine Hall and beyond a balustraded staircase
arranged around a square, open well and containing interesting paintings, including a portrait believed to be of John
Wood of Bath, carved rococo decoration to frames of c 1750. The House belonged to the Prowse family in the C18 and was
occupied for a time by Thomas Prowse who was elected five times MP for Somerset and declined the Speakership in 1761.
Thomas Prowse designed Hatch Court near Taunton (qv). (RIBA Journal, XLVI, p 536, 1939).