© Mr Graham Hill
FARLEIGH HUNGERFORD CASTLE,
NORTON ST PHILIP, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Mr Graham Hill
20 June 2004
16 November 1984
Date of last amendment:
16 November 1984
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST85NW NORTON ST. PHILIP CP
2/239 Farleigh Hungerford Castle
Castle. Site of early C14 Manor House for Montfort family, fortified 1370-1380 for Sir Thomas de Hungerford, Barbican
added c1420-30 for Sir Walter Hungerford, described as "very ruinous" by 1701. Coursed rough faced Doulting stone.
Displayed foundations of Manor House with Hall and domestic range, rectangular Inner Court enclosed by partly surviving
curtain walls on 4-sides with circular tower at each angle. Inner Gate; at middle of south side remains of 2 round
fronted towers with paved passage. Defensive ditches on west and south, once spaned by drawbridge to Inner Gate. To
the south, the Barbican enclosing the Outer Court and Chapel of St. Leonard (qv) partly surviving curtain walls and
south and south-west towers with defensive ditches on all 3 sides. Main entrance by East Gate, once with drawbridge,
now a causeway, ditch filled and domestic buildings erected c1610-20, only displayed foundations survive. 2-storey Gate
house pointed arch set in square headed recess to receive drawbridge above; holes to receive drawbridge chains and,
centrally the sickle badge of the Hungerfords; relieving arch then 2-light stone mullioned window with dripmould
surmounted by family coat of arms of the Hungerfords. West gate; mostly demolished, north jamb of archway survives.
Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No.4) (Department of the Environment, Farleigh Hungerford Castle, 1979)