© Mr Robert Hornyold-Strickland
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, FROME ROAD (south east side)
RODE, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Mr Robert Hornyold-Strickland
11 May 2005
11 March 1968
Date of last amendment:
11 March 1968
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST8053 RODE CP FROME ROAD (South-East side)
13/345 Church of St Laurence
Parish Church. Late C14 and C15, restored 1874 by C E Davis. Random rubble, stone slate roofs, coped verges, cruciform
finials. Clerestoried nave of 4 bays, North and South aisles, North chapel (now a vestry), South porch, 2-bay chancel.
Embattled diagonally buttressed 3-stage tower with a stair turret, 3-light bell chamber windows repeated on the stage
below, 5-light west window, panelled tracery, West door in a moulded 4-centred head surround, carved spandrels. Late
C15 3-light South aisle windows, 2-light openings to North aisle renewed; 2-light openings to clerestory. Interior with
4-bay arcade to nave, chancel arch in conforming style; panelled tower arch, stone fan vault to tower. Roofs
predominantly of the C19, except unceiled wagon roofs to aisles with ribs and bosses; angel corbels to nave roof.
Piscinae in North and South aisles, that to South on South wall by a cusped tomb recess, nearby a gabled and crocketed
niche. 2 squints giving onto chancel, renewed 3-light East window, piscina, C18 altar rail with twist-turned balusters.
The upper part of a former Norman doorway remains in the vestry. Octagonal Perpendicular font with quatrefoils; 2 C17
chairs and a chest. 6 fine wall monuments of C18, and 9 of C19.