You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267427  

Print Page



© Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS

IoE Number: 267427
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
  TELLISFORD, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
Date Photographed: 24 March 2003
Date listed: 11 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1968
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST85NWTELLISFORD CP2/478Church of All Saints11.3.68

ST85NW TELLISFORD CP 2/478 Church of All Saints 11.3.68 GV II Church. C12, C13, C14 and later, restored 1854. Rubble Doulting stone, stone slate roof with coped gables and finials with stone crosses. West Tower, Nave with South porch and chancel. Tower, 1490, of 3 stages, unbuttressed. Entrance on south side, vertically boarded door with "Y" framework set under a 4-centred arch with dripmould; above in chamfered stone surround on heraldic shield, the sickle device of the Hungerfords, Lords of the Manor; Quatrefoil windows on South and West sides to ringing floor; paired, square head bell chamber windows on all 4 sides with quaterfoil pattern perforated stone screens. Battlemented parapet. Stone porch with late Norman arch to door with chevron enrichment, with Early English columns with moulded capitals and head stops. Nave; 3-light 4- centre square head stone mullion windows with dripmoulds. Chancel; 2-light Early English plate tracery trefoiled windows. Interior: barrel vaults to Nave and Chancel circa 1700. Nave plaster ceiling removed, Chancel with carved and painted bosses in leaf design added 1854. East window stain glass 1857. Pulpit dated 1608. Rood screen 1931 embodied small part of medieval screen. In Chancel, part of lantern from C15 cross, Memorials include, in Nave, Batchelor(s) 1777, Edward Crabb 1810, Ann Crabb 1816; Chancel, Henrey Farewell (Rector) 1705, and William Batchelor (Rector) 1797; External, a tablet on South wall, facing Crabb Hall, and the Crabb Mill, Joseph and Benjamin Crabb.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.