© David Sanderson
THE GATEHOUSE, MILL STREET (south side)
BALTONSBOROUGH, MENDIP, SOMERSET
05 September 1999
22 November 1966
Date of last amendment:
22 November 1966
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST53SW BALTONSBOROUBH CP MILL STREET (South side)
9/18 The Gatehouse
House. Cl6, C17, some C19 and minor C20 alterations. Coursed and squared lias rubble, thatched roofs, 4 rendered
stacks, irregular height to ridge and eaves. Three unit and cross passage plan with later wing to each side forming
U-shaped frontage. Two storeys, 1:2:1 bays, 2, 3 and 4-light reserved chamfer stone mullioned windows, that to ground
floor of centre 2 bays with a transom; iron stanchions, iron casements, leaded lights. Three-light ovolo moulded wooden
mullioned window to left of the first floor of centre 2 bays; reproduction 2-light window to right return of left wing;
blank 2-light opening to gable face of right wing; right gable blank. Central door opening, moulded surround with a 4
centred head, reproduction ribbed and studded door; elaborate gabled and benched porch with an ashlar frontage, door
opening in a moulded surround, flanking Ionic pilasters carrying a fluted frieze with acanthus decoration and
triangular pediment; gable with a coping and a ball finial. Four bay rear elevation with irregular fenestration, one, 3
and 4-light moulded stone mullioned windows, one with a transom; 2 reproduction 2 and 3-light wooden mullioned windows.
Central door opening in a moulded surround with a flat pointed head; reproduction ribbed and studded door with glazed
panel; porch with outer door opening in a moulded stone surround with a depressed arch head, frieze, cornice, and
pediment with raised lettering:- "1637". Projecting stack to left with a concrete block capping. Salient interior
feature the fireplace to left of ground floor; moulded dressed stone surround, pilasters to each side, initials:-"RA"
and "RW", elaborately moulded cornice, triangular pediment with lozenge panel with initials:- "RA", finial over with
blank shield and fleur-de-lis. Roof of cruck construction with some smoke blackening, probably indicating the existence
of a former open hall. It is postulated that the C17 work was executed for a Richard Walton. The title Gatehouse does
not appear to have any historical attachment. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).