You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267551  

Print Page



© Dr Neil Bentham

IoE Number: 267551
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE (west side)
  LYDFORD ON FOSSE, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Neil Bentham
Date Photographed: 24 April 2004
Date listed: 17 October 1985
Date of last amendment: 17 October 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST53SELYDFORD-ON-FOSSE CPCHURCH LANE (West side)EAST LYDFORD10/77Church of St. Mary

ST53SE LYDFORD-ON-FOSSE CP CHURCH LANE (West side) EAST LYDFORD 10/77 Church of St. Mary - - II Anglican Parish Church. 1866 by B.Ferrey for Rector J. J. Moss. Coursed and squared lias rubble, Doulting dressings, coped verges, cruciform finials, tile roofs with crested ridges except stone tile roof to chancel. Nave and south porch, chancel with north-east tower, a vestry at its base. Late C13 style with much Middle Pointed mannerism. Tower with octagonal upper stages, a lancet to each face around the top; stone spire with gabled lanterns; 3-light window on north side incorporating texts; shallow stair turret. Three bay nave, single bay chancel, lancets and 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery; east end with a 3-light window; west end with paired lancets and a rose window, (much damaged at time of re-survey August, 1984). Elaborate porch with much carved flora and 2 heads as label stops. Lofty interior finished in Doulting ashlar; arch-braced roof to nave, unceiled wagon roof to chancel; the latter also with encaustic tiles. Chancel arch supported by coupled detached Purbeck shafts with foliate capitals, dog-tooth ornament facing nave; chancel windows with further flanking Purbeck shafts. Reredos in neo-Jacobean style. Co-eval pews and choir stalls, the latter incorporating charming animal carvings. Plain C13 octagonal font reused from an earlier church. C15 alabaster relief of St.George, again reused, similar a small tablet with roman inscription. Vestry with C18 and C19 wall monuments also an iron chest with raised lettering "East Lydford Register Chest 1813". Stained glass of 1879 to east window by C.E. Kemper in early C16 style (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.