You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267567  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 267567
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET (east side)
  NORTH WOOTTON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 September 2001
Date listed: 02 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 02 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST54SENORTH WOOTTON CPHIGH STREET (East side)4/94Church of St Peter2.ll.66

ST54SE NORTH WOOTTON CP HIGH STREET (East side) 4/94 Church of St Peter 2.ll.66 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. C14/C15, restored C19, including rebuilt chancel. Coursed and squared rubble, lead sheeting and slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel with organ loft, south porch, west tower. Embattled tower with diagonal buttresses, pinnacles, 2-light bell chamber windows with louvres. Two-bay nave, small 2 bay chancel, the former with a rood stair turret to south with lancet window. Porch with an ashlar frontage, diagonal buttresses, sun dial; shafted outer door opening, adjacent to right a stoup; benched interior. Plasted interior on tile floors, C19 wagon roofs; Perpendicular chancel and tower arches. Most important feature the C15 benches, some with carved ends; some further C15 carving to choir stalls, Norman tub font with cable banding, C18 cover. Rood stair. Remains of a C17 communion table. Royal arms dated 1826. Some C19 stained glass to chancel. Late C18 tablet, 2 further detached C17 tablets in the porch. Late C19 organ.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.