© Dr Neil Bentham
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LOTTISHAM ROAD (east side)
WEST BRADLEY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Dr Neil Bentham
02 April 2005
17 October 1985
Date of last amendment:
17 October 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
WEST BRADLEY CP LOTTISHAM ROAD (East side)
7/190 Church of St Mary
Anglican Parish Church, 1876 by Sir T G Jackson. Blue lias and Ham stone with Doulting dressings, tile roof with a
slight bellcast, tile hung timber bellcote over chancel arch with arcading and lourvres, spirelet, weathervane. Nave,
south porch, chancel with an organ loft to north. Free Perpendicular and Decorated style in the Arts and Crafts idiom.
Two bay nave, 2 and 3-light windows, simple leaded lights; two 2-stage buttresses to west end with offsets, gable face
with planted frame; 2:1:2-light west window. Prominent 2-stage buttress between nave and chancel; 2-bay chancel with
small windows, 3-light east window with flowing tracery, again the gable face with planted frame. Plank door to nave,
small plank door to chancel, elaborate strap hinges. Plastered interior on tile floors; nave with unceiled king-post
tie-beam roof with struts and some cusping; chancel with unceiled wagon roof. Chancel arch composed of 2 tie-beam
trusses close behind each other, elevated by posts with heavy ogee-arched braces, cusping; these fulfill the double
function of supporting the bellcote. Complete set of fittings; simple stained pews and choir stalls with additional
seating forded by flapped extensions, some readers pierced in an unusual Art Noveau style much like Mackintosh; pulpit;
simple octagonal stone font; C19 organ. A second example in the parish of one of Jackson's relatively few church
designs. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 19581).