You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267722  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Blandford

IoE Number: 267722
Location: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, HIGH STREET (north side)
  BUTLEIGH, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Blandford
Date Photographed: 10 September 2002
Date listed: 22 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 22 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BUTLEIGH CPHIGH STREET (North side)ST53SW11/9Church of St. Leonard17/9

BUTLEIGH CP HIGH STREET (North side) ST53SW 11/9 Church of St. Leonard 17/9 22.11.66 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. C14, much restored and extended mid C19 by J. C. Buckler. Coursed and squared lias rubble, some ashlar, freestone dressings, stone-tiled roofs, some clay tiles, moulded stone eaves cornices, coped verges with finials. Nave with South porch, North aisle, North chapel, crossing tower with North and South transept chapels, that to North now a vestry, chancel. Predominantly Decorated with some Perpendicular features; C19 work in a Decorated style. Embattled tower with simple 2-light bell-chamber windows, stair turret to north-east corner. Three bay nave with 2 and 3-light windows to South, that adjacent West end with original tracery, renewed cusped rere-arches; 6-light transomed window to West end; directly below a door. South porch with a simple and apparently unrestored shafted outer door opening, inner door with elaborate medievalising ironwork. Three bay North aisle of c1859, rose window at its West end; North chapel with elaborate North window with a cusped transom, inner reveal carved with vines and heraldic shields. Transepts of 1851 with 3-light North and South windows and lancets; 2 bay chancel, small 2-light windows, 3-light East window. Plastered interior on encaustic tile and flag floors, elaborate cast-iron heater gratings. Tower stands on low arches with bold mouldings, those to North and South appear much renewed; vault with ribs and ridge-ribs on corbels; Decorated arch to North chapel; 2 bay arcade to North aisle, broad squat arches. Roofs all C19; hammerbeam to nave, lean-to with arch- bracing to North aisle, wagon to North chapel, transepts with arch-braces, wagon to chancel, painted and gilded above altar. Octagonal C15 font on a shafted base, the panels of the bowl with emblems of the Trinity. Remainder of fittings predominantly late C19; pews with carved ends in C15 style; elaborate choir stalls, ends with poppy heads; gilded altar and reredos; 2 screens; aumbry in a cusped surround, door with intricate ironwork; pulpit; lectern; organ. Jacobean altar table to North aisle. Three kneeling figures from an Elizabethan tomb to North chapel. North aisle with a series of memorials to Neville-Grenville family; monument to Thomas Symcocks of 1624 to North chapel; nave with C19 brass plaques; South transept with Hood monuments, the largest by Lucius Gahagan of Bath of early C19 to 3 brothers including Admiral Hood, at its foot relief of a sea battle, shafts each side ascending to an ogee arch. such mid/late C19 stained glass; south window of nave 1851 by Pugin; South transcept 1853 by Ward and Nixon; east window 1829 by Willement; West window with remains of some medieval glass. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.