You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267756  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 267756
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, GODNEY ROAD (north side)
  GODNEY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 09 October 2005
Date listed: 13 January 1986
Date of last amendment: 13 January 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GODNEY CPGODNEY ROAD (North side)ST44SEUPPER GODNEY3/43Church of the Holy Trinity

GODNEY CP GODNEY ROAD (North side) ST44SE UPPER GODNEY 3/43 Church of the Holy Trinity - GV II Anglican Parish Church. 1839 by G. D. Manners; on a medieval site; restored 1903 with added chancel, by E Buckle. Elue lias ashlar, slate roof, conical to chancel, coped verges, cruciform finial, gabled stone bellcote on ridge at West end. Nave, South porch, apsidal chancel; Romanesque. Three bay nave with semi-circular head windows in freestone surrounds, freestone imposts, and continuous band set over the voussoirs; projecting pilaster strips to each end and between the bays; set on a plinth; corbel table below eaves. West end with interlaced arcading, 2 small semi-circular head windows, shafted 2-light windows set over. Chancel with an arcade of 7 lancets set high up, inside shafted rere arches. Porch with a semi- circular head outer door opening, chevron moulding, paired detached shafts with cushion capitals, plank door with elaborate strap hinges; inner door opening is similar. Plastered interior on wood block and tile floors. Nave with an arch-braced queen-strut collar and tie beam roof, chancel with a ribbed and plastered ceiling. Chancel arch of 2 recessed orders, the inner supported on scalloped corbels; to each side a medieval stone plaque with an emblem, to left a lamb, to right an eagle. Font in the form of an elaborate Romanesque column. Pine pews with shaped ends, 2 readers and a pulpit of 1903, the latter in Art-Noveau style; brass and wrought-iron lectern. Chancel with a piscina. Gabled tablet of 1780 to Jeanes Adams Bowen with achievement. Marble plaque by Rawling of Shepton Mallet. Royal arms. Remains of some stained glass of C15 to nave; remainder of windows with leaded lights. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.