© Mr Peter L. May
THE ABBOT'S FISH HOUSE, PORTERS HATCH (north side)
MEARE, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Mr Peter L. May
10 April 2002
22 November 1966
Date of last amendment:
22 November 1966
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
MEARE CP PORTERS HATCH (North side)
3/59 The Abbot's Fish House
House of the chief fisherman of the Abbot of Glastonbury; also used for salting and preparing fish. C14 (temp. Edward
III); roof renewed C20. Much weathered coursed and squared rubble, stone-tiled roof, restored eaves cornice, coped
verges with finials, freestone dressings. Rectangular on plan, 4 rooms to ground floor, 2 rooms to first floor, though
floor now removed; irregular fenestration; East end with a traceried 2-light pointed-arch window; 2-light chamfered
stone-mullioned windows; single-light openings in chamfered surrounds; all openings with later iron grilles.
Two-centred arch doorway in a chamfered stone surround to South; similar opening on first floor, formerly reached by a
flight of stone steps, now missing; 2 further narrow door openings to West, one on each floor; again iron grilles.
Interior with fireplace on each floor; 4 door opening in dressed stone surrounds. The building stood on the South-West
bank of Meare Pool, which had a circumference of 5 miles; it was drained in the late C18. It is postulated that the
fish house was erected in the time of Abbot Adam of Sodbury (1322-1335), who was also responsible for nearby Manor
Farmhouse (q.v). Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 3). (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West
Somerset, 1958; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 9 September, l174).