You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267774  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 267774
Location: ABBOTS SHARPHAM, SHARPHAM DROVE (west side)
  SHARPHAM, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 26 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 13 January 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHARPHAM CPSHARPHAM DROVE (West side)ST43NESHARPHAM PARK5/61Abbots Sharpham and Sharpham ParkFarmhouse

SHARPHAM CP SHARPHAM DROVE (West side) ST43NE SHARPHAM PARK 5/61 Abbots Sharpham and Sharpham Park Farmhouse - (previously listed as Sharpham Park Farmhouse Street) 26.11.66 GV II* (Marked on O.S. Map as Sharpham Park Farm). Monastic dwelling, subsequently a country house, later a farmhouse; now divided into 2 dwellings with an attached range of outbuildings. Probably C15, though some C16 and much C18 and C19 alteration. Coursed and squared rubble, predominantly roughcast to the entrance elevation, slate and pantile roofs in several sections of varying pitch, coped verges and copings at roof divisions; 2 pennants, one with cut lettering:- "D.G. 1733", the other:- "C.T. 1917". Irregular plan; 3 storeys and 2 storeys and attic stepped down to 2 storeys and again to a range of single-storey outbuildings, the whole forming an L-shaped entrance frontage; main part of 2:1:1:1:1 bays, outer bays stepped back from centre; 4, 12 and 16-pane sash windows with glazing bars; fifth bay with a three-quarter glazed door in a C18 stone doorcase with a triangular pediment. Principal door opening to fourth bay in a projecting gabled porch; restored dressed stone doorcase with a 4-centred head, slab hood on stone brackets, plank door with elaborate scrolled medieval hinges. Outbuilding wing to left with a 4-light moulded stone mullioned windows with iron stanchions; further 2 and 3-light casements. Rear elevation with some chamfered 2 and 3-light stone-mullioned windows, cast- iron casements with diamond-paned lights. Inset in the walls in various places are a number of carved freestone panels bearing heraldic devices and badges including a bishops mitre and a portcullis which may have been reused from a demolished chapel attached to the west side of the house. Interior of Sharpham Park Farmhouse with some exposed ceiling beams; interior of Abbots Sharpham with fireplace in a broad dressed stone surround, straight flight stairs with C17 balusters, 2 blocked diamond-mullioned windows, panelled room to first floor with a mixture of re-used C17 and C18 panelling including a stud and panel screen. The house where Richard Whiting, the last Abbot of Glastonbury, was arrested before his execution on Glastonbury Tor. Birthplace of Sir Edward Dyer (died 1607) an Elizabethan poet and courtier; and of the writer Henry Fielding (1707-1754). (Illustrated London News, August 24, 1850; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, August 1978, Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.