You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267807  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 267807
Location: WALTON CHURCH (HOLY TRINITY), MAIN STREET (south side)
  WALTON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 05 July 2004
Date listed: 22 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 13 January 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WALTON CPMAIN STREET (South side)ST43NE5/99Church of The Holy Trinity(previously listed as Walton

WALTON CP MAIN STREET (South side) ST43NE 5/99 Church of The Holy Trinity (previously listed as Walton Church (Holy Trinity)) 22.11.66 GV II Anglican Parish Church. 1866 by John Norton with Rev. J. F. Turner; carved work by Seymour of Taunton. Squared rubble, freestone dressings, many 2-stage buttresses with offsets, tile roofs with fishscale banding and crested ridges, lean-to slate roof to aisle, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with South porch, North aisle, chancel with North vestry, tower abutting North-East end of aisle. Mannered Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Three-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, lancets to bell-chamber, clock to North face, pyramidal slate roof added 1886 with weathervane. Three bay nave, 2 and 3-light windows, flowing tracery, labels, some with foliate stops, some with stops carved as heads; 4-light West window, ball-flower decoration; the 2-bay chancel in conforming style, 2-light windows, 3-light East window, priests door. Three bay aisle, 3-light windows with 4-centred heads. Lofty interior with overpainted polychromatic banding executed in brick, tile and encaustic tile pavements. Wagon roof to nave; lean-to roof on foliate corbels to aisle; collar-beam roof to chancel with cusped struts. Three-bay arcade to aisle with 4-shafted columns; chamfered chancel arch with ball-flower decoration. Recuabant C14 figure in aisle. Two Jacobean chairs, an altar-table and a chest. C18 bench. Elaborate font with detached marble shafts the gift of the Thynne family. Stone pulpit. Brass and wood altar rail; good altar table in Early English style. Three wall monuments, one in brass. Bell of 1637. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; The Central Somerset Gazette, May 5 1866: the Building News, 6th March, 1891).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.