You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267856  

Print Page

© Dr Neil Bentham

IoE Number: 267856
Photographer: Dr Neil Bentham
Date Photographed: 25 January 2003
Date listed: 10 June 1975
Date of last amendment: 25 June 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

COLEFORD CPSPRINGERS HILL (North side)ST64NE9/73Former Aqueduct at NGR ST 68474874(previously listed as Aqueduct at

COLEFORD CP SPRINGERS HILL (North side) ST64NE 9/73 Former Aqueduct at NGR ST 6847 4874 (previously listed as Aqueduct at The Grove) 10.6.75 - II Aqueduct. 1800-1801 for Dorset and Somerset Canal. Coursed masonry blocks with furrowed dressings, much of the ashlar robbed. Two semi-circular arches approx 10m wide and slightly less in height, approach abutments with curved revetment walls splayed back from each side of the bed of the former canal, parapets/canal trough/tow path missing, arches with keys, masonry coursed right through; masonry mostly survives on north-east and south-west revetments, one pilaster buttress on the former, 2 on the latter. Crosses a pathway/drive and a stream. The Dorset and Somerset Canal was intended to link the Kennet and Avon Canal to the River Stour in Dorset (Act of Parliament 1796). This section carried the canal down the valley from the Nettlebridge collieries. Canal abandoned 1803 through lack of finance. Inscribed stone, possibly from the aqueduct believed to survive at the village of Chantry, inscribed:- "Aqueduct Ere Anno 1801". The whole structure is in a poor state of repair (June 1985). (Clew K.R., The Dorset and Somerset Canal, 1971).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.