© Mr Robert O. Caudwell
HEMINGTON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Mr Robert O. Caudwell
14 October 1999
11 March 1968
Date of last amendment:
25 June 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST75SW HEMINGTON VILLAGE
6/99 Church of St. Mary
(previously listed as Hemington
Anglican Parish Church. C12, C13, C15, some C19 restoration probably by the office of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed
and squared rubble and some ashlar, embattled parapets, stone tile and lead sheeting roofs. Clerestoried nave, south
aisle, south porch, chancel with south chapel, north vestry, west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular though some
earlier features remain. Fine 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet, corner pinnacles, stair
turret, single bell-chamber windows to top stage with stone grilles, tall double windows with blind tracery on the
stage below; 3-light west window, west door. Four bay nave, 2-light windows, that to north-west corner of the 1340's,
the remainder Perpendicular. Six bay aisle-cum-chapel, 2-light windows, added C13 though fenestration C15. Porch 1869
in an Early English style; Early English inner doorway with Purbeck shafts, C15 door. Chancel with 3-light east window.
Plastered interior on flagstone floors. Nave with C19 roof on large C15 corbels carved as angels; C15 aisle roof with
ribs and bosses on small allegorical corbels. Springers for vault under tower. C19 ceiling with ribs and bosses; C19
wagon roof to chancel. Norman chancel arch with 2 pairs of shafts; Early English 4 bay arcade to south aisle, of
similar date 2 bay arcade between chancel and south chapel, the centre pier with detached Purbeck shafts, piscina on
east respond. Aisle and chapel windows with shafted rere-arches. Upper and lower entrances to rood. Aumbry. Norman tub
font; C16 chest; C17 pews; pair of coffin stools; C19 pulpit, choir stalls, chair and altar rails. Organ dated 1869 by
Vowles of Bristol. Sole monuments to floor; C17 wall monument; 3 C18 wall monuments, C19 and C20 monuments. Charity
plaque under the tower. Five early bells. Chancel window with simple C19 stained glass. Chapel window dated 1937 by A.
K. Nicholson of London. Jacobean cover to font. Late C16 painted text on nave wall. (Church Guide, 1984).