You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267924  

Print Page



© Dr Neil Bentham

IoE Number: 267924
Location: BABINGTON HOUSE,
  KILMERSDON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Neil Bentham
Date Photographed: 22 February 2003
Date listed: 11 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

KILMERSDON CPST75SWBABINGTON6/141Babington House11.3.68

KILMERSDON CP ST75SW BABINGTON 6/141 Babington House 11.3.68 GV II* Country House in landscaped grounds. Circa 1705 for Henry Mompesson; altered and extended, dated on rainwater head:- "l790", for Captain Charles Knatchbull, possibly by John Pinch, further C19 work. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, plinth, lintel band, rusticated alternating quoins, dentil cornice, plain parapet with a coping, hipped concrete tile roof, some flat-roofed dormers with sash windows to returns, ashlar stacks. Roughly rectangular on plan, with a central light-well, north front with bow. Symmetrical early Georgian front. Basement, 2 storeys and attic, 7 bays, 12-pane sash windows in moulded architraves, to ground floor with cornice drips. Central door opening with bolection moulded architrave, semi-circular stone shell hood on brackets with enrichment; three-quarter glazed door. Large 2-storey, 3 window bow to north front, 12-pane sash windows. Seven-bay south front, entrance projects with a Gothick door opening. Single storey service wing at rear. Interior with important features; hall with ceiling with ornamental plasterwork, stair-case with turned and twisted balusters, dado panelling, doors in bolection moulded surrounds; dining room with ornamental plasterwork, doorcases and chimneypiece; first floor drawing room also richly decorated; further features including chimneypieces, ornamental plasterwork, panelling and re-used medieval glass. It is believed that the building stands on C17 foundations. (Country Life, 16 April 1943).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.