© Dr Neil Bentham
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET,
KILMERSDON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Dr Neil Bentham
22 February 2003
11 March 1968
Date of last amendment:
11 March 1968
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
6/145 Church of St. Margaret
Anglican Church. Probably 1748 by John Strachan or William Halfpenny. Ashlar, moulded cornices all round, parapets with
copings, lead roofs, that to chancel domical; coped verges. Nave, apsidal chancel, west tower porch; Baroque. Tower
porch of 3 stages, upper stage with octagonal lantern with stone cupola, pineapple finial at apex; stone urn at each
angle where square tower meets lantern; semi-circular head bell openings, emphasised keys and impost band.
Semi-circular head door opening to west, emphasised key and imposts, paired outer dog gates with wrought-iron spear
capping. Three bay nave, semi-circular head windows in architraves with imposts and keys, square-paned leaded lights.
Blank chancel. Complete coeval interior; porch benched on flagstone floor; vaulted ceiling, panelled inner doors,
panelled transomlight, main body plastered on flag floors, walls scribed to resemble ashlar; coved plaster ceiling with
enriched dentil cornice, 2 ornamental bands; chancel arch with a panelled intrados; chancel with acanthus cornice,
ceiling with 3 panels, reredos a Rococo fantasy with cherubs' faces supported by a stem of sacramental vine and wheat
rising from an ornate base, the whole in the shape of a monstrance. This work attributed to Thomas Stocking of Bristol.
Tables of The Law in enriched surrounds. Turned and twisted balusters to altar rails. Panelled box pews flank central
aisle, elevated pulpit with reader below, panelled to rear with carved urn. Plastered Hanoverian Royal Arms in relief
to west end. Small stone font with bowl on baluster-pedestal. C17 chair; piece of high quality medieval carving,
probably continental. Small late C19 organ. Majority of plasterwork with C20 gilding and painting. Yery similar in
conception to Redland Chapel in Bristol which was long considered to be by John Strahan but now known to be by William
Halfpenny. (Church Guide, undated; Country Life, 16 April 1943).