© Mr Ulick Palmer
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET (east side)
STON EASTON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Mr Ulick Palmer
14 August 1999
21 September 1960
Date of last amendment:
21 September 1960
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
STON EASTON CP HIGH STREET (East side)
4/51 Church of St. Mary The Virgin
Anglican Parish Church. C11, C15, much rebuilt C19 by Blomfield. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings,
ashlar, tile and lead sheeting roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials, small gabled dormers. Nave with North and
South aisles, chancel with north and south chapels, west tower. Perpendicular and neo-Perpendicular. C15 embattled
3-stage west tower, diagonal buttresses, pinnacles, single-light bell-chamber windows with quatrefoil interlace;
2-light West window. Remainder of building virtually all C19; 3 bay north and south aisles, 3-light windows; south
door, label, paired plank doors, medievalising hinges. Single bay chapels, single bay chancel, 4-light east window.
Plastered interior on wood block and encaustic tile floors; C19 roofs, to nave arch-braced; 3 bay arcades to north and
south aisles, probably C15, piers of 4-hollows section; similar the arch between north chapel and chancel; south chapel
added C19. Norman chancel arch, semi-circular head, colonettes. Simple tower arch of 2 chamfered orders. C18 bowl font.
C19 pews, choir stalls, altar rails, pulpit, font and screen; good brass lectern in the form of an eagle, dated 1890.
Three C18 wall monuments by Reeves of Bath, Lancaster and Walker of Bristol and H. Blacker of Clutton; 9 C19 wall
monuments; most to Hippisley Family of Ston Easton Park (qv), especially in north chapel. Small C18 bracket in the form
of a cherub. Three windows with late C19 stained glass. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol,