You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268021  

Print Page



© Mr Ronald Penn

IoE Number: 268021
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY,
  BINEGAR, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Ronald Penn
Date Photographed: 06 September 2002
Date listed: 02 June 1961
Date of last amendment: 02 June 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST64NWBINEGAR CPBINEGAR VILLAGEVILLAGE12/1Church of the Holy Trinity2.6.61

ST64NW BINEGAR CP BINEGAR VILLAGE VILLAGE 12/1 Church of the Holy Trinity 2.6.61 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. Norman establishment, rebuilt C15, rebuilt, except tower, 1858 for Rev William Heade. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, asbestos slate roofs, coped verges with finials. Wave, chancel, north transept, north organ chamber, north vestry, south porch, west tower. Perpendicular tower, remainder in Middle Pointed style. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses rising to crenellated pinnacles, embattled parapet with an arcade of blind foiled niches, to west carved Trinity, polygonal stair turret to north with crenellated capping, 2-light bell-chamber windows with louvres, 2-light west window with renewed tracery, label, west door. Three bay nave, single and 2-light windows. Gabled porch. Two bay chancel, one, 2 and 3-light windows, to east with geometrical tracery. Interior plastered on flagstone floors, encaustic tile pavement to chancel. Triple-chamfered tower arch; moulded chancel arch on carved springers. C15 octagonal font; small Jacobean altar table; medieval stoup built into vestry wall. Remainder of fittings late Cl9 including choir stalls, altar rails, lectern, organ, pulpit and oil lamps. Pews of 1903. Stained glass to east window of 1913, remainder of windows with plain leaded lights. Cartouche of 1736; 5 main C19 wall monuments. Three early bells. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; Church Guide).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.