You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268058  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 268058
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET (south side)
  ST CUTHBERT OUT, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 September 2001
Date listed: 22 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 22 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST54SEDINDER CPCHURCH STREET (South side)15/39Church of St Michael22.11.66

ST54SE DINDER CP CHURCH STREET (South side) 15/39 Church of St Michael 22.11.66 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. Norman establishment, some C14 work, rebuilt C15, restored 1872 with rebuilt chancel and added organ chamber. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, lead sheeting roofs, coped verge. Perpendicular. Nave, chancel, north aisle, north organ chamber, south porch, west tower. Embattled 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, gargoyles, 2-light bell chamber windows with Somerset-type tracery, stone grilles, topping embattled stair turret, clock, west window, west door. Three bay embattled nave, each aerlon enriched by a foiled niche, gargoyles, pinnacles, 2-light windows, 2 with square heads and one with a pointed head. Porch with parapet and coping, diagonal buttresses, gargoyles, shafted outer door opening, benched interior on flagstone floor, C19 roof on corbels carved as heads. Three-bay aisle, embattled in conforming style to nave, buttresses, gargoyles, pinnacles, 3-light pointed-head windows, door. Three-bay chancel, reset single and 2-light Decorated windows, 3-light Perpendicular east window. Organ chamber in Perpendicular style, pierced parapet. Interior plastered on flagstone floor; roofs of the restoration; to nave and aisle on corbels carved as angels. Three bay arcade to aisle, piers of 4-hollow section; chamfered chancel and tower arches, possibly earlier than the C15. Arches to organ chamber of 1872. Norman dragon heads reset in the chancel over a south window. Good stone pulpit dated 1621, with rosettes, fleur-de-lis and symbols of the Trinity. Octagonally Perpendicular font, a quatrefoil to each face. Piscina also Perpendicular. Pews, choir stalls, altar rails, organ, reredos and screen late C19. Iron candelabrae. Five late C18-early C19 monuments under tower; elaborate mid C19 monument over north door. Window to south of nave with reset medieval glass fragaents; 8 late C19 stained glass windows. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.