© Mr Ulick Palmer
CHURCH OF ST MARY,
LITTON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Mr Ulick Palmer
12 August 1999
21 September 1960
Date of last amendment:
21 September 1960
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST55SE LITTON CP LITTON VILLAGE
7/64 Church of St Mary
Anglican Parish Church. C13, C14, C15; mid C19 restoration and added north aisle, further early C20 work. Coursed and
squared rubble, some ashlar, freestone dressings, coped verges, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles,
south chancel chapel, south porch, west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular. Two stage tower, bold set off, angle
buttresses, embattled parapet, corner pinnacles, stair turret; large gargoyles; beneath the parapet a series of carved
corbels, sore with foliate decoration, sole carved as heads; angels on north and south sides with carved arms,
Prebendary Richard Harewell 1366-1435 and Thomas Paulton, Archdeacon of Taunton 1395-1416; 2-light square headed bell
chamber openings with louvres, lancet to west, 3-light west window, west door. Three bay nave; 3 bay south aisle,
3-light windows and a 2-light window with flowing tracery to west. Continuous south chapel, single bay; aisle and .
chapel with parapet and coping. Conforming south porch; diagonal buttresses, parapet and coping, inside benched on
flagstone floor, stoup. Three bay gabled north aisle, 3-light windows in neo-Perpendicular style. Short single bay
chancel, 3-light east window. Interior scraped on flagstone floor. Nave with restored arch braced collar bear roof,
principals C15/C16; C14/C15 lean to roof to south aisle and chapel, moulded ribs; plaster ceiling to north aisle and
chancel. Simple chamfered tower arch; chancel arch and arcade to south aisle and chapel all in similar Perpendicualr
style, piers of 4-hollows section; C19 north aisle arcade. Hagioscope. Blocked C13 window to chancel, cusped rere arch.
Early piscina; octagonal Perpendicular font with enriched panels, fine coeval tester. C15 pews with traceried ends,
some good copies; altar rails and pulpit Jacobean. C19 box pew, lectern and organ. Early bells. C18 wall monument to
south aisle, early C19 wall monument. Late C19 stained glass to east window, remainder of openings leaded and plain.
(Murray, Litton Guide, undated; Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).