You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268094  

Print Page



© Mr John Barker

IoE Number: 268094
Location: CHURCH OF ST HUGH,
  PRIDDY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Barker
Date Photographed: 16 June 2004
Date listed: 09 February 1961
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST55NWPRIDDY CPCHARTERHOUSE2/75Church of St Hugh(previously listed in the parish

ST55NW PRIDDY CP CHARTERHOUSE 2/75 Church of St Hugh (previously listed in the parish of Charter house) 9.2.61 GV II* Anglican Church. Predominantly 1908 by W D Caroe on a slightly earlier meeting hall core. Roughcast on brick, battered walls, thin sloping buttresses, stone tiled roof with wide eaves of varying height, hipped roof to vestry, copper clad fleche with windvane, oak louvres, 2 roughcast chimneys. Continuous nave and chancel, the latter slightly narrower, vestry of single storey to west end. Arts and Crafts style. Three bay nave, 2 bay chancel, one, 2, 3, 4 and 5-light casenents, plain and unpainted, except to east end each light with a foiled head, east and west windows with iron saddle bars and stanchions; square-paned leaded lights. Paired plank doors to north and south of nave, original ironwork, small circular windows; door in conforming style to vestry. Interior plastered on plank floor with high quality lined oak fittings and furniture. Walls with simple panelling, at west end enfolding the font to form a war memorial, octagonal stone font. Nave with arch braced crown post roof; chancel with collar and tie beam roof, with lower angle braces. Panelled semi-circular head chancel arch with C15 style rood screen; elaborate altar table and reredos, the former in Celtic style. Nave and vestry with tiled fireplaces. Two readers, chest, lectern, chairs and organ in Arts and Crafts style. Oil lamps. East and west windows with richly stained glass, the former with the Nativity, the latter with the Apostles, by Horace Wilkinson. Vestry with iron pump. Formerly the parish church of the Parish of Charterhouse, now amalgamated with Priddy. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; Church Guide).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.