You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268102  

Print Page



© Mr John Barker

IoE Number: 268102
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, SCHOOL LANE (east side)
  RODNEY STOKE, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Barker
Date Photographed: 11 April 2006
Date listed: 29 January 1987
Date of last amendment: 29 January 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST45SERODNEY STOKE CPSCHOOL LANE (East side)DRAYCOTT18/83Church of St Peter

ST45SE RODNEY STOKE CP SCHOOL LANE (East side) DRAYCOTT 18/83 Church of St Peter II Anglican Church. 1861 by C E Giles, some late C20 internal alteration. Random rubble, freestone dressings, banded tile roofs, faceted roof to chancel, some coped verges, steeply gabled ashlar bellcote with 2 bells, cruciform finials. Simple Early English style. Nave, chancel with polygonal apse, transepts, lean-to chancel chapels, small semi-circular vestry. Lancet windows, some in groups of 2 and 3; transepts with 3-light windows with plate tracery, solid eyes, polychromatic freestone and Dolomitic Conglomerate voussoirs to heads. Gabled porch; shafted outer door opening with stiff-leaf foliage, benched flagstone floor, plank door with strap hinges. Plastered interior on flagstone, tile and encaustic tile floors; nave with arch braced scissor rafter roof, chancel with wagon roof with gilded decoration. Broad chancel arch on fat short circular piers, caps with stiff leaf foliage. Fine neo-Norman font with figures in relief, cover. Stone pulpit with carving. Wrought-iron rood screen of 1894. Lectern carved as an eagle. Neo-Perpendicular reredos of 1903. C19 organ. Stained glass to chancel lancets of c1861, remainder of windows with ornamental leaded lights. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.