You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268186  

Print Page



©  Barry Lane

IoE Number: 268186
Location: COURT FARMHOUSE, VICARAGE LANE (west side)
  WOOKEY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Barry Lane
Date Photographed: 11 September 1999
Date listed: 22 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 22 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST54NWWOOKEY CPVICARAGE LANE (West side)21/173Court Farmhouse22.11.66

ST54NW WOOKEY CP VICARAGE LANE (West side) 21/173 Court Farmhouse 22.11.66 II* Episcopal manor house, now farmhouse. Fragmentary C13 remains, C16 and C17 work, much altered C18 and again C19. Roughcast, triple Roman tile roof with a crested ridge, coped verges, 3 brick stacks, 2 on ashlar and rubble bases, one with exposed chimney breast. Much altered L-plan with a cross passage. Two storeys, main wing of 3 bays, C19 3-light casements on first floor, two 3-light hollow-chamfered stone mullioned windows on ground floor, each light with a 2-centred head, incised spandrels, that to right with iron stanchion and saddle bars, that to left with a casement to each light, some early glass remaining. Central door opening, 6-panelled door, fanlight with radiating glazing bars, ashlar porch, semi-circular head outer door opening, key, cornice. Remains of a buttress to left of frontage. Narrow projecting wing to right, 3 storeys, one window to each floor of inner face, 3-light moulded stone mullioned window on first floor, iron casements with leaded lights, label; similar windows on ground floor except with mullions cut away and a 3-light casement inserted; small leaded window on second floor. Two stage buttress to right. Blocked 4-centred arch door opening to rear and the remains of a stair turret obscured by C19 lean-to. Salient interior feature the 2-centred archway to a former chapel, c1230, moulded head of 3 rolls, remains of one capital; further remains of similar plainer doorway; moulded C16 ceiling beams; some C18 fittings. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, April 1983; Wood, C13 Domestic Architecture in England; Supplements Archaeological Journal, CV, 1950).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.