You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268463  

Print Page



© Dr Neil Bentham

IoE Number: 268463
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BRUTON ROAD (east side)
  MILTON CLEVEDON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Neil Bentham
Date Photographed: 19 June 2004
Date listed: 02 June 1961
Date of last amendment: 02 June 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST63NEVEDON CPBRUTON ROAD (East side, off)8/249Church of St. James2.6.61GV

ST63NE VEDON CP BRUTON ROAD (East side, off) 8/249 Church of St. James 2.6.61 GV II* Anglican parish church, Parts ofer rebuilt 1790, extensively restored cl865. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, freestone dressings, tile roofs, coped verges, finials. Nave, chancel, north and south transepts, south porch, west tower, Gothic survival and neo-Perpendicular. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses, pierced par; pinnacles, 2-light bell-chamber windows, Y-tracery, stone grilles; further 2-light window to west, datestone 1790, inscription plaque, west doorway altered mid C19, early/mid C19 memorial plaque onee bay nave, 3-light traceried pointed-arch windows, north and south doorways, to north blocked, to s set over with figures. Transepts with traceried 2 and 3-light pointed arch windows, parapets with copith a C17 and 2 C18 external monuments. Single bay chancel, 2 and 3-light traceried pointed arch wr plastered on tile, encaustic tile and flagstone floors. Elaborate Cl9 roofs on C19 carved corbels. Pan tower, chancel, and transepts, those to tower and north transept appear entirely C19, whilst chancel arcouth transept appear to be C15. Interior fittings predominantly of the restoration including elaborate d font with cover; pews, choir-stalls, altar rails, reredos with painted decalogue panels, lectern, oil l, small organ, high quality stained glass. Recumbent stone full-sized effigy of 3 priest to north side 325, the face re-cut. Small amount of medieval stained glass to top lights on north transept window pedestal in south transept, inscription, Norman style though probably C18. Jacobean cupboard which appears eated from a small altar table; Jacobean chest; restored C17 chair. Good early C18 wall monument to Susan marble, with central urn under a canopy of curtains, open segmental pediment on fluted pilasters, in high quality lettering. Three C19 wall monuments. Five bells. (Pevsner, N., Buildings of England, South set, l958; Photographs in NMR; SANHS Proceedings, 24, i, 42).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.