© Barry Lane
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET (west side)
CHEDDAR, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
31 October 1999
09 February 1961
Date of last amendment:
09 February 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST45SE CHEDDAR CP CHURCH STREET (West side)
6/112 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Coursed and squared rubble, lead roofs, coped verges. C14, C15, restored in 1873 by William Butterfield.
Nave with clerestory, short chancel clasped by large north and south chapels, north and south aisles, the latter with a
further chapel and porch, north porch, tall west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular, some Decorated features. 3 stage
tower with diagonally connected set-back buttresses ascending to shafts and pinnacles; parapet pierced with
quatrefoils, stair turret with a pinnacle; triple 2-light bell-chamber windows to third stage, that to centre louvred,
those flanking blank; large 4-light west window above a door, above 2 figures of the Annunciation in niches; interior
of the tower with a lierne vault. Further similar pierced parapets to nave, aisles, and chancel, with pinnacles.
Decorated 2-light clerestory windows, 3-light Perpendicular aisle windows, further large Perpendicular windows to
chapels east window of the restoration. Interior with C14 aisles of 5 and one half bays, further C14 arches to north
and south chaples; later elaborate panelled arch to south aisle chapel incorporating 3 figures in the respond; chancel
arch of the restoration. C14 roofs to nave and north and south aisles with colouring and gilding by Butterfield,
similar treatment to C19 wagon-roof to chancel. Painted C15 stone pulpit, chancel with restored C13 piscina. C19
parclose screens to north and south chapels probably incorporating earlier work. C15 carved bench ends, particularly in
north aisle. Painting in south aisle chapel of C17 by Jan Erasmus Quellinus, Christ at Emains; this chapel also with
some C15 stained glass; further C19 stained glass. Altar table of 1631, chest tomb in chancel to sir Thomas Cheddar of
1442 with a brass, further brass to his lady of 1474 at its base; opposite the remains of a further chest tomb. Early
C14 font with a C17 cover. Large paintings of 1810 under tower, time and death, previously flanked chancel arch,
probably moved at the time of the restoration. C17 chest. Peal of 8 bells, earliest probably pro-Reformation. Some C19
wall monuments. (Pevsner, The Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).