You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268886  

Print Page



© Mr Robert Sutherland

IoE Number: 268886
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH ROAD (east side)
  FIDDINGTON, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Robert Sutherland
Date Photographed: 04 October 2002
Date listed: 29 March 1963
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST24SWFIDDINGTON CPCHURCH ROAD (East side)3/39Church of St Martin29.3.63

ST24SW FIDDINGTON CP CHURCH ROAD (East side) 3/39 Church of St Martin 29.3.63 GV II* Parish church. C11, C14, C15, restored 1860 by John Norton. Coursed and squared red sandstone rubble, some herringbone masonry to South wall of nave, tower roughcast, freestone dressings, slate roof, crested ridge, coped verges with cruciform finials. Decorated and Perpendicular styles; nave with a South porch, North aisle, chancel with a North vestry, West tower. Embattled 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses to lower stages, small 2-light bell chamber windows; prominent clock to South side, coloured face, gilded hands and numerals. Two bay nave, 2-light windows; on the external South-East corner an incised Shiela-na-gig, a fertility goddess of C11 or C12; aisle of 3 bays all of 1860, 2-light Decorated style windows. Two bay chancel again with 2-light windows; 3-light East and West windows. Pilastered nave and chancel under unceiled wagon roofs of C15, aisle with lean-to roof; shafted lofty tower arch; simple chamfered chancel arch of 2 orders; 3 bay arcade to aisle on squat octagonal piers. C15 piscina. C15 bench ends. Jacobean pulpit on a C19 stone base; Font in a Perpendicular style, Jacobean cover; encaustic tiles to chancel; C19 organ. C19 stained glass; windows by Bell and Son of Bristol, 1912; A L Moore of London, 1901; Lavers, Bernard and Westlake of London, 1879. Three C19 tablets to chancel; plaque to tower screen commemorating 1860 alterations. C17 chest to North aisle; also in the North aisle a framed copy of the church plans by Norton. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.