© Mr John H. Sparkes
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH HILL (east side)
OTTERHAMPTON, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Mr John H. Sparkes
19 July 2004
24 June 1985
Date of last amendment:
24 June 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST24SE OTTERHAMPTON CP CHURCH HILL (East side)
4/78 Church of St Peter
Church. 1870 by J Knowles for Susanna Lewes Jeffery. Coursed and squared blue lias rubble, red sandstone banding,
prominent buttresses, tile roofs with fish-tail banding, coped verges with finials. Free Decorated style with Early
English featuresi nave with a spired south belfry porch, north and south transepts, apsidal chancel. Three bay nave,
single bay transepts and chancel; 2 and 3-light windows, west window with intersecting tracery; lancets to chancel.
Elaborate porch with octagonal upper stage, each face with a gabled lantern at its base, ribbed stone spire, clock,
stair turret to west side; broad pointed-arch door opening with 2 pairs of detached shafts, foliate caps; paired
wrought-iron gates. Lofty plastered interior on tile floors dominated by arch-braced roofs springing from foliated
corbels; reredos with 7 foiled gables, a detached shaft with foliate caps between each, pierced by a lancet to centre
and each side; plain chancel arch. Virtually complete C19 fittings including pews, choir stalls, altar rails, tub font
and oil lamps on brackets; elaborate semi-circular stone pulpit with detached Purbeck shafts. Stained glass to West
window and chancel. Brass plaque commemorating the dedication of the church to the West end. (Pevsner N, Buildings of
England South and West Somerset, l958).