You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 269275  

Print Page



© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 269275
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE (north side)
  ENMORE, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 27 July 2006
Date listed: 29 March 1963
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST23NWENMORE CPCHURCH LANE (North side)2/16Church of St. Michael29.3.63

ST23NW ENMORE CP CHURCH LANE (North side) 2/16 Church of St. Michael 29.3.63 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. Predominantly C15, though much restored. C13 Early English chancel and a Norman south doorway; restored 1873 by B. Ferrey. Random rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs with crested ridges, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with a south porch, chancel, North aisle, West tower; Perpendicular; middle pointed C19 work. Embattled tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses terminating in detached pinnacles on third stage, further corner shafts terminating in pinnacles above the battlements, polygonal topping stair turret; prominent gargoyles; 2-light bell-chamber windows with Somerset tracery, quatrefoil grilles; clock on south face with Roman numerals; below a shafted niche with leering figure. West door, 4-light West window. Two bay nave, 3-light pointed-headed windows; south doorway of c1185, semi-circular head with incised zig-zag decoration, colonettes with trumpet capitals, one with small stiff-leaves peeping out; porch C19. Three bay North aisle, cusped lancets and 2-light windows with bar tracery; prominent buttresses. Two bay buttressed chancel with lancets; East window of 3 stepped cusped lights with foils above, C19 though reproducing the original. Plastered and scraped interior on flag floors under C19 wagon roofs; starvault under tower. Perpendicular tower and chancel arches; the latter panelled with elaborate moulding, narrow "squint" to each side with a cusped head. Three bay arcade to North aisle in middle pointed style with hexagonal piers. Plain octagonal C13 font. Medieval iron-banded chest; Jacobean chest; elaborate Jacobean pulpit with grotesque masks; some plain C16/C17 pews, much renewed C19 with family pews at West end; Jacobean coffin stool; C18 cope chest; early C19 coffin stools and tables; C19 brass and wrought-iron candelabra; C19 organ; late C19 choir stalls and reredos; brass lectern dated 1907; 2 early C20 wooden screens; painted chair. Two large C18 wall monuments, one by Wood of Bristol; 3 principal C19 monuments and several other brass plaques. Two helms of Malet family of c1620. Late C19 stained glass to chancel, post restoration, remainder of windows leaded and plain. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.